During the 9 years of experience in the implementation of LIFE Nature projects regarding the conservation of large carnivores and especially brown bear we formed a vast network linking the various institutions and experts in the field of nature conservation or other related fields and can thus facilitate access to the information referring to databases that have provided the basis to achieve several scientific papers, reports, information, videos, etc..
Through assistance provided by our team from LIFE projects, university students have successfully completed their studies effectuated in the implementation area of these projects. Today we focused on issues that could form the basis of some thesis or dissertation paper works. We welcome collaboration with student’s voluntaries through voluntary program "Conservation of large carnivores in Vrancea County
," which is open to students, master and PhD in biodiversity conservation or related fields as geography, biology, ecology, forestry and others. Prospective candidates should be motivated by improving the quality of knowledge about human-bear conflict resolution through the implementation of best practices and demonstrative conservation actions of the species Ursus arctos .
Themes that could be included are
• Bears juvenile mortality caused by the disturbance of the dents - Detailed analysis of the circumstances, identify root causes, recommendations on prevention of cases
• bear attacks on human settlements - Detailed analysis of the circumstances, identify root causes, recommendations for the prevention of this type of cases
• implementation of demonstrative protection systems for sheepfolds, crops, orchards and apiaries
• assess risk situations and the necessary measures to being taken in situations created by problematic bears
• awareness campaign to reduce human-bear conflicts and to promote the Nature 2000 sites
• brown bear image in the media - objectivity, accuracy, quality content, influence on public opinion
• promotion of traditional products made by locals from the areas populated by bears
The selection of the volunteers
will be done by the Vrancea Environmental Protection Agency and by the Association for the Conservation of Biological Diversity through the reviewing of the following documents:
• Present a letter of intent in which will briefly present the objectives of the study you will develop in the areas mentioned above;
• Presentation of a letter of recommendation from a tutor or teacher supervisor in the University;
• Curriculum vitae;
Study area lies mainly on Sub Carpathian and Vrancea Mountains with the possibility of the extension in the area where is implemented the LIFE08NAT/RO/000500 (Vrancea counties, Covasna and Harghita)
Accommodation is at the Lepsa Centre for Monitoring of large carnivores in rooms with 2 beds. In the center it is not no permanent electricity, supply of equipment to 220 w being made from solar generators or with gasoline. If you want accommodation in rooms with constant power at boarding houses, participants will pay the accommodation (app. 10 EUR / night).
Field program will be intensive, but depending on the type of studies that will be involved. In the field you will not be able to be contacted by mobile phone permanently.
. Volunteers need to secure transportation to the Focsani city , the Vrancea county capital. From Focsani, they will be taken by the project staff. To get in Focsani you can use the railway (www.cfr.ro) or network transport (minibuses, buses). The transport from outside Romania can be done by train (to Bucharest, and from there to Focsani), coach (up to Bucharest, and from there continue the journey by railway or road) or by plane (to Bucharest Otopeni OTP code, then continue the journey by railway or road)
Hazards and Safety. Working with wild animals and in mountain conditions can be life threatening. Wolves and lynx are not a danger to human life. Bears, especially if you meet bear with cubs, may constitute a significant hazard. For field work we recommend that you have with you the anti-bear spray with high capacity jet strong enough so that you beat 8-9 m. However, the field trip will be in groups of at least 2 people properly equipped. Also, each trip will be announced to EPA Focsani. We recommend rabies vaccination to avoid any inconvenience related to contact with foxes, wolves, dogs, etc..
To work at full capacity, you must have equipment fit for work in extreme conditions. Our suggestions: sleeping bag, mountain waterproof shoes, lightweight shoes, wind and rain jacket, sweatshirt from Polar Tec , gloves, wind shifts, flashlight, pocket knife, compass, altimeter, camera equipment. In wet weather, or winter, you must have equipment to change.
Contact. If you are interested to participate in one or more activities of the project, please contact us by e-mail at:
Specify the subject line "volunteer program."